Tips for leaving the house with kids
Today’s post is sponsored by Baggallini. As always, all opinions are my own.
Going out in public gets a lot more challenging when you have kids. And the more kids you have, the harder it gets. They want to crawl out of the cart, run in different directions, or just cause pure chaos in some other form. So online shopping has become more and more appealing! But unfortunately, not everything can be purchased online and we still like to get out and do things. So as hard as it is sometimes, I’ve learned a few tips and tricks when it comes to getting out of the house with kids.
1. Positive reinforcement: If we can make it through the store without any meltdowns, jumping out of the cart, or whining for a toy, I like to reward them with a treat. This can be a treat from the store or a treat at home but I like to let them know that good behavior in the store is rewarded. Call it bribery if you want but it works for us.
2. Snacks, snacks, more snacks. Pack a bag of snacks to keep them occupied. And if you get desperate, open a box of snacks in the store and just pay for them when you get to the front. I’ve done it a billion times and desperate times call for desperate measures.
3. Go hands free. Find a purse or bag that a) can hold all of the things you need (diapers, wipes, snacks, whatever) and b) allows you to chase after kids or push that giant cart that no one likes (moms you know what I’m talking about). This 3-in-1 bag from Baggallini is PERFECT for running errands, exploring your city, whatever! It can be a regular handbag, crossbody, or backpack. It also has a luggage sleeve to slide over your luggage, RFID phone wristlet, and is super lightweight. Perfect for everyday use or travel! And it’s easy to clean so we all know how handy that will be with kiddos!
4. Go at the right times. If you have a baby, go when they can nap in their carseat. If you have older kids, make sure they’re not ready for a nap or it’s after work when it’s super busy in the store. This can make or break the success of your trip!
5. Bust out the technology. If it’s going to be a longer trip, hand over the iPad or phone. Ain’t no shame in that game and if it helps you get through the store, do it. I know some people won’t agree with this one and that’s just fine but sometimes it’s necessary for your sanity. And everyone else around you..
Being a mom is hard enough and trying to get through a store (or public in general) can be a challenge. If I can offer any other advice, it’s try to remain calm. I am the queen of anxiety and tend to get super anxious when the kids are melting down or screaming. But sometimes you don’t have a choice and you just have to power through.
Also, if you’re not the one with the kids, be kind and don’t judge another mama. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I had to take my kids EVERYWHERE with me when my husband was in the Army and I got so many dirty looks. But I didn’t have a choice and I wish I would have been given the benefit of the doubt.
What tips do you have for leaving the house with kids? Leave them below!
what do you think?