Chicago Weekend Recap Part 1


I feel like it’s been an eternity since my last post and I am so glad to be back! A huge shout out to everyone that guest posted for me while I was gone. I hope you all had a chance to read them, they were great!

So where do I even begin?

What a fast paced, crazy, beautiful, stressful, frustrating, super fun, and too short of a visit to Chicago we had this past weekend.

We took an overnight train from Syracuse to Chicago Thursday and let me tell you, that was quite the experience.

We arrived 2 hours early to the station since we had never taken the train before and that was definitely WAY earlier than we needed to be there. To top it off, the train was late, so we were hanging out in the station for almost 3 hours and it was completely unnecessary. But, live and learn I guess!

Once we were on the train, I was surprised at how spacious the coach seating actually was. The only real problem I encountered was sleeping. I can’t sleep sitting up and I have sleeping problems due to Z’s deployment, having a baby, and just unable to fall and stay asleep, so trying to get comfortable was really challenging. I think I ended up falling asleep for an hour or two and with that being said, it would make for an exhausting next day.

Just checking his emails! 
Breakfast in the snack car

But thanks to Starbucks and my motto, “You can sleep when you’re dead,” I pushed through the exhaustion and enjoyed the beautiful Windy City.

Walnut Room at Macy’s in front of the famous fountain

We had lunch with Z’s Grandma at the Walnut Room in Macy’s, and it was absolutely beautiful. Bubba was less than entertained with the fanciness of the restaurant so we made it rather quick and headed to one of the biggest attractions in the city… The Bean!

From there, we met my parents at the hotel and did a quick hello and goodbye… they were on their way to Michigan Ave and we were on our way to our friend’s house for a little gathering.

I know my child is a Ham and all but you should see him with the ladies; I’m so going to have my hands full. A bunch of Z’s friends from school were able to get together to see us, so we enjoyed a few drinks and snacks while watching the Cardinals game.

Zach’s first time on the “L”

We didn’t want to stay out late since we had a long day ahead of us on Saturday, but it was so good to see everyone and know that despite the distance or time that goes between seeing each other, nothing ever changes.

Saturday, the day we had been waiting for was finally here….my cousin’s wedding! We went to breakfast with my family that morning and seeing Bubba with them is always such a treat. He was unsure of my Papa’s mustache and watching him try to figure it out was hilarious. I am so blessed to have such an amazing family and our child is more loved by them than I can even express.

We got ready for the ceremony and even little Bubba was dressed to the nines!

The ceremony was absolutely beautiful and I wish I could have seen more of it; someone decided they were going to need to eat, have his diaper changed, and walk around while all of this was going on and needless to say, I missed a lot of it.

Absolutely breathtaking! Right before she walked down the aisle

But, I know from what I saw that it was absolutely beautiful and I was glad to have been there, whether in the front row or watching through the glass in the back!

Blurry since they were walking but love how happy she is 🙂

Then it was time to go…hahahahaha

I’ll save the rest of the recap for tomorrow since I know this is a lot to take in, but once again, glad to be back and reconnected with all you lovely ladies!




what do you think?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.